Teeth whitening or bleaching is a simple, safe, non-invasive way to change the colour of your natural teeth.
Having whiter teeth has become the number one aesthetic concern of many people and there are numerous ways to approach this. The most popular way is to use a home teeth-whitening system that will whiten teeth dramatically for most people. Since teeth whitening only works on natural tooth enamel, it is important to evaluate replacement of any old white fillings, crowns, etc. to match the newly bleached teeth.
Teeth whitening is not permanent. A touch-up maybe needed every several years, and more often if you drink coffee, tea, or wine or if you smoke.
Reasons for teeth whitening:
- Fluorosis (excessive fluoridation during tooth development)
- Normal wear of outer tooth layer
- Stained teeth due to medications (tetracycline, etc.)
- Yellow, brown stained teeth
What does teeth whitening involve?
This type of teeth whitening usually requires two visits:
- Impressions (molds) will be made of your teeth to make custom soft plastic trays after we decide that this is appropriate for you.
- You will try on the trays for proper fit, and adjustments will be made if necessary. The trays are worn with special whitening gel solution inside either twice a day for 30 minutes or overnight for a couple of weeks depending on the degree of staining and desired level of whitening. It is normal to experience tooth sensitivity during the time you are whitening your teeth, but it will subside shortly after you have stopped bleaching. You will receive care instructions for your teeth and trays, and be encouraged to visit your dentist regularly to help maintain a beautiful, healthy, white smile.